Monday, May 19, 2008

"Training Walk" at Bay to Breakers

I'm considering yesterday's Bay to Breakers 12K a training walk for the Avon Walk. However, for those of you who've done B2B or have seen the video footage of this "race," you know how ridiculous it is to consider this training for anything other than increased alcohol tolerance.

This was my first B2B experience, and it was much crazier than I expected. The best description I can offer is that it seemed to be a very long, walking, frat party. Nearly everyone was wearing costumes, which ranged from elaborate vikings complete with a moving boat to what I can only presume to have been an Adam and/or Eve costume before the apple was eaten. (Use your imagination.)

One of my favorite costumes was a group of running protesters who carried signs with sayings such as, "If you run, the terrorists win." and "Running is a gateway drug." and "What are you running from?" Very clever!

Despite the enormous amounts of alcohol consumed by the walkers, and the overall feeling of lawlessness (I did not see a single police officer throughout the whole walk), the walk seemed to carry on peacefully and enthusiastically. The one fight I did see break out was quickly settled by other walkers who stepped in to prevent any violence. That was a breath of fresh air. I recalled images of fights in high school when everyone would just gather around and morbidly wait for blood to be drawn. This crowd, however, was just hoping to participate in a peaceful celebration and were not going to tolerate a few rowdy people ruining their day.

So while the calories I may have worked off were probably simultaneously reapplied with each sip of my malibu/cranberry juice (my alcoholic beverage of choice), I did feel sore at the end of the "race," so I consider this an effective and terribly entertaining training walk!

Donor of the Day:
Today's donors are my wonderful friends and B2B walking buddies, Kelly and Jodi! Thank you both for your donations and support! I had so much fun walking with you yesterday and witnessing the craziness of Bay to Breakers first-hand. The 70s ballers costumes were great! What should we be next year?

No comments: